Request Information about Self or Others

The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you right of access to personal information held by public authorities.

Individuals may request access to personal information held by Nottingham City Council if they are the subject of that information. You may ask someone else to obtain the information on your behalf, but you must provide written consent.

How Do I Make A Request For Personal Information?

Requests must be made in writing and signed by the person the information it is about. You may ask someone else to obtain the information on your behalf, but you must provide written consent. Please also ensure you provide something that confirms your current address, e.g. such as a recent bill or bank statement, and your identity, e.g. a passport or birth certificate. Also, we need any other details you think may help us locate the information you want.

Please try to avoid sending us originals but instead send us certified (stamped and signed) copies of documents. You can get documents certified by professionals such as GPs or teachers, or alternatively at post office counters.

Your request must:

  • Include the name of the person requesting the information
  • Include an address for correspondence (a phone number or email address is also useful if we need to clarify your request)
  • A description of the information required

Alternatively you can complete the forms below.

What Happens Next? 

We will acknowledge your request usually within 5 working days.

We have 40 calendar days from the day after we receive the request to provide the information. Under certain circumstances the time limit to respond to your request can be extended, for example if we hold a large amount of information about you. If we need to ask for fees and/or any further information we will contact you.

Can You Refuse My Request? 

There are a number of reasons for refusing to provide information, including:

  • We do not hold the information
  • If an exemption applies (see below)

If any of these apply we will write to you explaining why we cannot provide the information, along with instructions on how to appeal against this decision.


Nottingham City Council aims to be as open and transparent as possible but there are some circumstances where we will exempt information from disclosure. This can only be done where there is clear legal grounds for doing so and our response will indicate that we have exempted information and the legal basis of that decision. Our decisions are open to challenge and can be reviewed by the Information Commissioner's Office.

A full list of exemptions can be found on the Information Commissioner's website.


What Will It Cost Me? 

The Data Protection Act 1998 allows Nottingham City Council to charge a £10 fee to cover the cost of searching for data. You do not have to pay this fee if:

  • you wish to access your Social Services files and you are or have been in local authority care
  • you wish to access your Social Services files and you are or have been a foster carer
  • you are or have been a Council employee wishing to access your personnel file

What Happens if I'm Not Happy? 

If you are unhappy with the response to your request, you believe that an exemption has been incorrectly applied or that you have not received all of the information you are entitled to you can request an internal review of the original response.

The Data Protection Manager will review your case to ensure that the officers dealing with the original request have done so in line with the requirements of the legislation.

Details of how to appeal will be provided with any response to your request. To request an internal review you should write in the first instance to the Data Protection Manager, Data Protection, Loxley House, Station Street, Nottingham NG2 3NG stating the reasons for your dissatisfaction.

Alternatively please contact us by email or telephone at:

Email: data.protection@nottinghamcity.gov.uk

Telephone: 0115 876 3855

If you remain dissatisfied you can request an independent review of your case by contacting the Information Commissioner's Office.

DPA/FOI/EIR Complaints Resolution
Information Commissioner's Office
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

You may also contact the Information Commissioner's Office by telephone on 01625 545745 or by email at mail@ico.gsi.gov.uk.

More Information

You can find further information about the Data Protection Act from the following government websites:

 Subject Access Request Support Guide

Please send the request to;

Data Protection Team
Legal Services
Loxley House
Station Street

Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.

* Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...