Looking to Buy to Rent

I am considering (or in the process) of buying property to rent out within Nottingham City.

If you are looking to become a landlord with property/ properties in Nottingham City, then please read all of the relevant information on our website to make sure that you are aware of your responsibilities.

Firstly, if you are buying a property to rent out, then it is likely that the property you have or are looking to buy will fall under one of our licensing schemes. This can include properties that are not shared and/ or have families living in them so please ensure that you check this.

If the property will be shared by unrelated people, it is very likely that it will need a licence.

NOTE: If tenants inform you that they do/ will live with family; you should do the appropriate checks to make sure that they are related as if they are not; the property could be an unlicensed HMO and you could be considered as responsible for this offence.

In addition to this; the property may also require planning permission for it to be used, or occupied as planned.

Many people confuse this with HMO licensing; however, some properties may be required to apply for planning permission AND a HMO licence, whereas, some may only need one and not the other.

If you will be changing the use of a property, for example you are changing a property from a family home, or shop, into a shared house or converting it into flats; you WILL need to have planning permission for this and this should be applied for BEFORE you change the use of it. If you do not apply for this, then time and money could be spent for it to later be enforced that it cannot be used as you wanted and/ or enforcement action could be taken. Click here for more information on planning permission and change of use.

If the property will be shared by more than 6 people; you will need to check with our planning department that this is allowed.

More information on Article 4 and planning permission can be found here.

For more information on this, please contact the planning department:

Email: development.management@nottinghamcity.gov.uk

Phone: 0115 876 4447

In addition to this, whether or not a property needs a licence, it will still have to meet the legal minimum standards, which can be found here for all types of private rented properties.

If your property is a flat, or a flat within a larger building, then a licence may still be required, even if the flat/s is self-contained. Click here for more information about flats.

Existing licenses

You can check here to see if the property you are looking to buy already has a licence, however, licenses cannot be transferred from one person to another, therefore, if you purchase the property you will need to apply for a new licence (unless the licence holder is, for example, the manager  and they will continue to be the manager).


Nottingham City recognises accredited landlords and one of the ways in which we do this is by applying a discounted licence fee for accreditation. For more information on this and the Nottingham Standard, please click here.

If you would like to report something to us, then you can Report it here.

If there is any information that you are still not clear on or you would like some general advice, then please complete and online enquiry form and we will get back to you.

Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.

* Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...