Right to Buy allows most council tenants to buy their council home at a discount.
You could be entitled to buy the Council home you are currently renting at a discounted price if you;
- Are a secure tenant now and
- Live at the property as your main home and
- Have a total of at least 3 years public sector tenancy in either Council or Housing Association property
If you can answer ‘yes’ to all of these then you are entitled to apply for the Right to Buy your Council home.
The amount of discount you get is mainly worked out on the type of property you are currently renting & how many years tenancy you have in total.
Latest Right to Buy information
If you have an application in progress please note that due to the high volume of applications received we are running behind statutory timescales.
If you are waiting to hear if you have been admitted the Right to Buy this is currently taking approx. 5 weeks instead of 4 weeks.
If you are waiting to receive your formal offer letter
- For a house or bungalow this is currently taking approx. 9 weeks instead of 8 weeks
- For a flat or maisonette this is currently taking approx. 13 weeks instead of 12 weeks
For advice on what to do if your landlord delays the Right to Buy process, please visit https://www.gov.uk/right-to-buy-buying-your-council-home/delays
Find more information on the Right to Buy scheme
- Visit the Governments Right to Buy website
- Ring 0300 123 0913 to speak to a Government Right to Buy agent or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Email the Nottingham City Councils Right to Buy team at RTB@nottinghamcity.gov.uk
- Call the Nottingham City Councils Right to Buy team between 8:30am and 5pm - Monday to Friday - on 0115 876 4385
- Visit the Nottingham City Councils Right to Buy drop-in sessions held at Loxley House every Monday, Wednesday or Friday between 10am and 11am – no appointment required (please note: visitors outside of these times will require an appointment).
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.
Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...