Duration of the Programme: 18 MONTHS
SALARY: Grade E (£20,661 – rising to £21,962 after 12 months.)
Nottingham is an exciting and vibrant place to live and work that also presents a rich and diverse environment in which to develop your planning skills. It is one of the eight Core Cities outside of London within the UK. The City attracts a wide variety of developments, both large and small in scale, that relate to its residential neighbourhoods, its areas of employment and R&D, its universities and colleges, and the retail/leisure offer of its city and district centres. The city also has a rich physical heritage including the Castle, City Centre, Lace Market, Wollaton Park and the Park to name a few, which present challenges and opportunities to enhance these historic assets.
Posts would be career graded scheme for 18 months - 2 years. The successful candidate would gain experience in all of the teams within the Planning Service:- the two Development Management teams, the Planning Policy team, the Building Control team and the Heritage and Urban Design team.
The post will offer a number of work experience opportunities including the following:
- Learning and advising customers on planning proposals and general enquires, including those concerning ‘permitted development’
- Developing the ability to understand and interpret plans and technical planning documents
- Researching and understanding the planning history of sites and properties
- Developing a knowledge and understanding of existing and emerging local planning policies
- Assisting in projects and work streams for the Planning Policy teams
- Assisting in projects for the Development Management team
- Conducting on site land/property survey work
- Assisting in projects and work streams for the Heritage and Urban Design team
- Shadowing and supporting officers with their planning application and appeal cases
- Handling and being responsible for a number of your own applications
- Attending a variety of meetings, both internal with colleagues from other service areas and external with customers/citizens/developers
- Attending design review panels and Planning Committees
You will also be expected to play an integral role in delivering a high quality team service and level of customer care. The post will offer the opportunity to develop your interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with a wide variety of customers both in writing and over the phone.
It would be beneficial to have a basic awareness of current development management and planning policy legislation, practice and procedures, but not essential. You will be based at Loxley House and as part of the work be expected to undertake site visits.
The deadline for submitting an application is midnight on Sunday 22 April 2018
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.
Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...