The Local Plan sets out the strategic and spatial land-use planning framework for Nottingham City.
Consultation on the latest version of the Land and Planning Policies Document - Local Plan Part 2 (Revised Publication Version) has now finished. The Council is currently considering the comments received before proceeding towards submission of the document. Details of this stage of the plan preparation and all supporting documents can be found here.
A Greater Nottingham Strategic Flood Risk Addendum was published in September 2017. The addendum improves the quality of information available to highlight development constraints and opportunities for environmental enhancement. Further information, links to the document, and updated flood risk data can be found here.
The Council has adopted a City Centre Digital Media Interim Planning Statement.
A Development Brief has also been published which will be guide development proposals for the Broadmarsh car park and bus station site located south of the City Centre. The document sets out a vision for the area, identifies constraints and opportunities and provides guidance on the type, form and phasing of development expected on the site.
- Adopted Local Plan
- Further Local Planning Documents
- Adopted Supplementary Planning Documents and Guidance
- Current Consultation
- Pilot Brownfield Land Register
- Community Infrastructure Levy
The Adopted Local Plan
In Nottingham the Local Plan comprises the Nottingham City Aligned Core Strategy (part 1 Local Plan) (adopted on 8 September 2014, see below for details) and the 'saved' Local Plan policies, which were adopted in November 2005. Many policies in the 'saved' Local Plan have been deleted as replaced by policies in the Core Strategy (see below).
Nottingham City Aligned Core Strategy sets out strategic planning policies and development principles for Nottingham City to guide development until 2028. The ACS was jointly prepared with Broxtowe and Gedling Borough Councils with close alignment to the other Council's Core Strategies which make up Greater Nottingham namely Erewash and Rushcliffe Borough Councils. The Inspector who examined the document issued her report in July 2014. She found the Councils' plans to be sound subject to the modifications discussed and put forward following the examination hearings and consulted on during March and April 2014 (with one exception in respect of Bestwood Village in Gedling Borough). The version available to download corrects errors to the justification text of Appendix E in respect of saved policies S2, S3, S4 and S5 of the Nottingham Local Plan 2005.
The Council considered the recommendations of the Inspector and formally adopted the plan on 8 September 2014.
Click on the links below to view the associated documents
- The Nottingham City Aligned Core Strategy (ACS)
- City Council Report Equality Impact Assessment Appendix
- City Council Report
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Aligned Core Strategy
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Aligned Core Strategy Publication Version Addendum May 2013
- Sustainability Appraisal of the Aligned Core Strategy Equality Impact Assessment HRA combined document
- Sustainability Appraisal Adoption Statement
The ‘Saved’ Local Plan
The 'saved' Local Plan (2005) policies contain detailed planning policies against which all planning applications are judged. It is accompanied by an adopted Proposals Map which sets out areas of protection and areas of land designated for particular land uses.
The Emerging Local Plan
Work is currently underway to prepare a new Local Plan for Nottingham City. In the future the Local Plan will comprise two documents:
- Nottingham City Aligned Core Strategy (Local Plan Part 1) adopted in 2014
- Nottingham Land and Planning Policies Document - Local Plan Part 2 (Revised Publication Version)
Nottingham City Land and Planning Policies Document (LAPP)
Local Plan Part 2
The Local Plan Part 2, when adopted, will
- set out planning policies for Nottingham City
- guide how decisions on planning applications will be made
- allocate land for development
Consultation on the latest version of the Land and Planning Policies Document - Local Plan Part 2 (Revised Publication Version) has now finished. The Council is currently considering the comments received before proceeding towards submission of the document.
Future Stages of the Plan Preparation
The indicative timetable for the production of the LAPP is shown below:
LAPP Preparation Stage
Publication Version consultation
29 January 2016 to 11 March 2016 COMPLETE
Revised Publication Version
Friday 29th September to Friday 10th November COMPLETE
Receipt of Inspectors Report
Consultation on the latest version of the Land and Planning Policies Document - Local Plan Part 2 (Revised Publication Version) has now finished.
Further Local Planning Documents
The Statement of Community Involvement (SCI) sets out Nottingham City Council's policy for involving communities when preparing planning documents and considering planning applications.
The Local Development Scheme (LDS) sets out timetables for when each of the planning documents will be prepared by the City Council. The City Council keeps the timetables set out in the LDS under review and reports progress in the Authority Monitoring Report.
The Authority Monitoring Report (AMR) 2016 - Assesses the City Council's progress against the timetables set out in the LDS, and is published annually. The AMR also assesses the effectiveness of policies and objectives set out in the planning documents.
The Nottinghamshire and Nottingham Waste Core Strategy (WCS) is jointly prepared by Nottingham City and Nottinghamshire County Councils. It sets out the scale, location and type of facilities required to manage different types of waste in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire. The WCS was adopted on 10 December 2013. You can view the Waste Core Strategy; the formal Adoption Statement and the Sustainability Appraisal Adoption Statement here. In addition details of the annual monitoring of this document can be found here.
Nottingham City Strategic Housing Land Availability Assessment
The current Housing Land Availability Report and the associated plans can be viewed by clicking the link below.
Adopted Supplementary Planning Documents and Guidance
These are supporting documents which add further detail to the planning policies set out in the adopted Local Plan. Access the folder of documents here.
The following types of document are available:
- Supplementary Planning Guidance (SPG)
- Supplementary Planning Documents (SPD)
- Interim Planning Guidance
- Development Briefs for specific sites
- Conservation Areas- Character Appraisals and Management Plans
Community Infrastructure Levy
Nottingham City Council does not currently have in place a Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL). Should the Council decide to introduce CIL, consultation on the level of CIL to be charged will take place with interested parties prior to Public Examination. Further information on CIL can be found on the Planning Portal.
Useful External Links
- NPPF - National Planning Policy Framework: was published on 27 March 2012 and sets out the Government's planning policies for England and how these are expected to be applied
- PPG - Planning Practice Guidance: this website resource brings together many areas of English planning guidance into a new format, linked to the National Planning Policy Framework and relevant legislation
- Plain English guide to the Planning System: explains how the planning system in England works by providing a plain English guide. It is only an overview and so does not set out new planning policy or guidance
- Planning Portal: is the UK Government's online planning and building regulations system in England and Wales and is intended to be the first point of call for anyone wanting to find out about planning
- Planning Inspectorate: deals with planning appeals, national infrastructure planning applications, examinations of local plans and other planning-related and specialist casework in England and Wales
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.
Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...