The Council is able to provide a quotation and construction service if you need to drop the kerb outside your property for the purposes of access to your land or driveway.
Following your request an officer will contact you providing a customer reference number and details of how to pay the Quotation Fee – £25.00. This fee will be deducted from the crossing total on your official quotation.
Once the quotation fee has been paid, an officer will visit the property to take appropriate measurements.
Within 14 days information will be posted in the form of a written quotation detailing the total cost and methods of payment. If there are any problems associated with the crossing you will be notified accordingly.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need a dropped kerb?
- Do I need planning consent?
- What work is involved for the cost?
- How do I pay for the crossing?
- How much will it cost?
- When does construction begin?
- How long does the work take?
- Can I use my own contractor?
- Can I undertake the work myself?
- Does the Council construct private driveways within a property?
If you intend to drive a vehicle over the footway into your driveway off a highway, then you will need a dropped kerb. If you do not have dropped kerbs, you must not drive over the footway. If you do so, you are breaking the law and enforcement action could be taken to prevent such practice. Furthermore, you may become liable for any damage to the surface or sub-formation of the footway or any utility services damaged as a result of this action.
In the majority of cases planning consent is not required. However planning permission may be required if the adjacent road is a Classified Road or if you live in a Conservation area.
The kerbs will be replaced with lower units and a splay kerb to each side of the crossing for new construction.
Where an existing crossing exists it may be possible to extend where appropriate. The crossing will be excavated and rebuilt to protect all utility services that are below the surface from any damage and sufficient design to support private light goods or similar vehicles.
You can pay by cheque, credit or debit card.
The cost varies but will mainly depend on the area of the footpath used to access the driveway.
Once the payment has been processed, Highway Services will put the work into their programme.
From that point the works will commence anything up to three months
The actual build will be carried out over a 1 to 2 day period.
If you do have any concerns during the construction period you can contact the Highway Services team on phone 0115 915 2000
It is possible to use your own contractor providing they conform to the criteria below:
- The contractor has full Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA) staff accreditation
- Public Liability Insurance, a minimum of £5,000,000 (million pounds)
- Approval through a Section 184 License. The service ensures that accesses on to the highway are constructed in compliance with our safety standards and that the work is carried out by contractors accredited to work on the highway. To have a copy of this licence sent out to you, please contact our Network Management Team on 0115 876 5238
- Planning consent where applicable
- Possession of vehicle crossing installation standard details from Nottingham City Council
- Full service/utility drawings for the location
- Conform to all chapter 8 guidelines for works to Highway Land
No. Contractors can be located in the local newspaper or on the internet
Get our latest updates delivered to your inbox.
Sign up for Job Alerts, What's On, Latest News and more...